Thursday, October 14, 2010

#1 netbook contender... for now

I am interested in getting a netbook to carry with me on our travels.

I have looked over all of the brand names and I am most interested in the new lineup coming from Asus.

I don't plan on purchasing until spring and given that pricing on netbooks alters little in terms of a price drop over time, there is likely no savings to me by waiting.  However I am interested to see what comes out from the competition.

The netbook I am currently looking at is the ASUS Eee PC 1015PN.  It has a faster dual core processor, it's light and has great battery life.  I would want to get the 56W/hr battery with it.  Not sure how easy it is to get the ideal configuration at the time of purchase.

The netbook I want needs to have the following criteria:

  • LIGHT
  • SMALL (10" - 13")
  • ABILITY TO EDIT MY 12MP PHOTOS
  • EDITING VIDEOS (THIS IS LIKELY OUT OF THE QUESTION)
  • INTERMEDIATE STORAGE (WILL USE BACKUP DRIVE AS WELL)
  • GOOD KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD
  • BATTERY LIFE (WE HAVE 13 HOURS ON THE PLANE)


This netbook is selling for about $450, but I would still have to upgrade the ram to 2GB and possibly I would consider swapping out the hard drive and installing a SSD drive I currently have laying around.