Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Booking our flight to New Zealand

I am about to order our airline tickets to New Zealand.  I am currently comparing prices between Air New Zealand, Online fare provider Fare Geek and Air Miles Canada.  My search is for one adult and one child fare with a departure date of September 9th, 2011 and a return date of October 19, 2011.

Air New Zealand is offering the return tickets from Calgary to Auckland via Vancouver for $3,948.02 including taxes.


Fare Geek is currently suggesting a price of $3,234.84 including taxes for the Calgary to Auckland via Vancouver.


I spoke to Air Miles last week and I can use my air miles for my adult fare + $300 for taxes etc. and then purchase a child fare at $1650 including taxes for a total of about $1950 taxes included.






Currently there are no premium economy seats available for the flight to or from New Zealand and I am not sure how to read into this fact.  Does this mean that the seats are filling up fast?  The price for the return flight to New Zealand on ANZ website has increased by about $500 for the pair of tickets.  Is this because of demand or costs of operating the flight are increasing?  


There is still one option I haven't followed through on.  A friend of our family is in fact a travel agent and a Kiwi to boot.  I haven't been able to reach her yet, but I will be getting a price from her prior to using any other option.  I would like to give her our business because she is a friend and also because she is suggesting that we meet her brother and family and they should be able to take us out on the ocean fishing and treat us to some authentic New Zealand hospitality.