Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Testing CF and SD cards - April 2011

It has been a little while since I purchased a Compact Flash card for a SD card.  It looks like we might have a total of 4 cameras with us on our trip to New Zealand.

A little excessive from someone that likes to travel light!

So, what cameras am I carrying and why?

Canon 7D - the camera I will use to take my more stationary shots of landscapes etc.

Canon S95 - just purchased this camera and it is a very nice point and shoot camera, handy for candid photos.


Canon XA10 - this is the new pro camcorder I want to replace my current Canon HFS10 with.


Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 - Tegan will be carrying this new camera, it is a rugged little camera with gps geotagging.

I needed some new storage media for my cameras and what I bought were:

Lexar Professional 32GB SDHC 133x
Transcend 32GB CF 400x


I just ordered along with the new cards a USB UDMA card reader from Ebay.

I found out that my old card reader just wasn't up to snuff! This is a photo of my old card reader.

You will see why this will be handed down to my kids... they might not even want it either!  So SLOW!

The UDMA card reader I ordered is this one to the right.

The Ebayer name is "netsuper-outlet", just search UDMA once you are in their store.  You won't be disappointed.  

Cheap lightening fast USB 2.0 UDMA Card Read Ebay Supplier



Now on to the test results!




 
The program I used to test the integrity and throughput of my media cards is H2testw.
The software program is free and will test the integrity of the media as well as the throughput, card reader limited as I found out...  Not sure what the bandwidth limit is on the UDMA card reader, but it is fast enough for me now.

Card manufacturer Ngear ALL IN 1 USB 2.0 UDMA Reader
Verbatim Premium 16GB Class 6 SDHC 2.6 MB/s 11.4 MB/s
Kingston 32GB 266x CF 2.4 MB/s 10.8 MB/s
Lexar Professional 32GB Class 10 SDHC 2.6 MB/s 18.0 MB/s
Transcend 32GB 400x CF 2.7 MB/s 19.8 MB/s

As you can see the Ngear reader was a poor decision and I suffered with it for over a year without knowing any better.  The UDMA reader is fantastic and shows the speed of the new cards I purchased as well as what the speeds of my older cards actually are.