Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Best seats left empty at RWC 2011

The cheap seats are being snatched up by Kiwis and perhaps some abroad looking to catch other games besides what they originally got in their team or venue pack. 


Nonetheless, tickets priced $41 or less remained available yesterday at all stadiums except Eden Park and Waikato Stadium.

Overall, more than three-quarters of seating areas at pool matches had vacancies: 118 areas of 153.
Some fans took to Twitter to express their frustration as the cheap seats to popular matches were booked out.

Kolone Bob Vaai said: "Been trying to buy RWC tickets ... damnit all the cheap seats are GONE".

Becky Kuek said: "$123+ for s*** tickets at the RWC? ... I think not. Sky Sport and my sofa it is".

Tournament organizers announced last week they had sold 900,000 of 1.6 million tickets - or 56 per cent - to reach three-quarters of their sales target of $268 million.  - nzherald.com


Last year I applied online for the Canadian team pack.  I chose to go for the best available tickets.  I have category "A" tickets to all the games except the game against France, for that game I have category "C" tickets. 

So, when the individual tickets went on sale this week, I thought I would check out the France game and sure enough "A" category tickets are available. 

Off to my gmail account and sent this email:

I am writing to ask about my ticket order...  I purchased the Canadian pool pack and the game in Napier against France, I have Category "C" tickets.  Is there a reason why this is so when there are "A" category tickets available now?  Are the "C" tickets I have better than the "A"?

The response back was this:


As is normal with all major tournaments, tickets are also being sold through a commercial programme. Throughout the Tournament, tickets for certain matches are being returned to the public pool of tickets after not being required by these groups.
By purchasing during an earlier phase you were able to guarantee seats to the game, whereas general public purchasing tickets in the final phase are limited to any seats left available.
All tickets are sold as ‘Best Available’ at the time of purchasing.

For further information please call our contact centre on the numbers supplied below.

Thank you for your interest in Rugby World Cup 2011. We appreciate your continued support!

I followed up asking if I can somehow upgrade to the "A" tickets and suggested that they go back and offer the better tickets to all those who originally were given less than the best and offer the better tickets back to them.

More money for RWC 2011, happier fans, more tickets available in the cheap seats for others to grab!

Common sense isn't that common!