Saturday, January 8, 2011

Aeroplan donators thanked by Rugby Canada

Rugby Canada Hat
In December, Rugby Canada began a campaign of receiving Aeroplan mile donations.  The goal was 5 million miles and was extremely ambitious for a first time fund-raising campaign of the sort.  The actual amount of miles donated was 859,031 and the list of donors was less than 50.

I think the numbers are a little disappointing and I am wondering how this could improve when the campaign returns again this year.  I am happy to spread the word about the campaign and I think that news of the campaign could include "Rugby Day in Canada" magazine, perhaps get Sportsnet and TSN to make a note of the campaign in their broadcast and there are other blog authors out there that would be happy to spread the word.  And what about all the RFCs in Canada, couldn't they help out by posting something on their websites or in their clubhouses.  Maybe the best time for this campaign is in Spring or Fall too.   

The next time around, I think there should be early notice of the campaign starting about a month prior.  Then when the campaign starts, send press releases out to newspapers, television and websites.  I hope Rugby Canada can achieve a better result the next time around and news of the campaign is heard, so those miles start rolling in.



And the t-shirt
Furthermore, I donated 5000 miles (it was all I had) and I received a great looking hat and tshirt within 2 weeks.  I had a good feeling when I donated and a better feeling when I saw the great swag I scored for doing the little bit I could.

Thanks Rugby Canada and good luck with the next campaign and the road to the Rugby World Cup!








This is my 100th post on our blog!