Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Features I want in a rugged digital camera

Pentax Optio W90... is this all there is?


If a better model doesn't come out by April 15, 2011 I will have to purchase the Pentax Optio W90 for my daughter Tegan's birthday gift. The reason I would select this camera is that it has a built in intervalometer.  The intervalometer function allows you to take time lapse photography.  Unfortunately the available settings are pretty crude when it comes to time lapse photos.   Why is this important to me?  Well, I can take this camera and mount it to the deck of a boat and record our voyage as it progresses.  I can then take the photos and make a movie from the still images.

What would I like to see in a rugged/waterproof digital camera?

Here is my wish list:

  • A wide aperture f 2.8 would do for me.
  • I am more into wider shots, so an equivalent 24mm would be very nice
  • 12+ megapixels is good for me, just make sure the quality is in the photos
  • Larger lcd screen 3" seams to be the standard now
  • Intervalometer with shorter intervals, 1 second intervals would be fantastic
  • Great battery life
  • GPS geo-tagging please
How much would I pay for this, probably around $450 CDN.

The intervalometer is the big one for me.  I need a camera that is waterproof and records photos in intervals. 

Someone please listen and give me what I want!