Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rugby Movies

We all have heard about the movie Invictus starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.

I thought I would bring a couple more to your attention. 

The first is a movie called Play On.  It was released this year and I just need to find a couple of free hours and I will watch the movie.  It looks promising although I am not sure how the American Football angle will work in the film.  I digress and will wait to critique once I see it. 





Forever Strong is a movie from 2008 I plan to rent or purchase online and review soon as well.  

A rugby player is put up in a juvenile detention center. There he plays for the Highland Rugby team and ultimately plays against his father in the National Championships. - IMDb

A Giant Awakens
  
"A GIANT AWAKENS" is a 60 minute HD sports documentary that explores 130 years of rugby in America. Through the lens of award winning filmmaker Sylvain Doreau, the essence, spirit, and challenges of American rugby are captured at all levels from youth to the USA Men's National Team. This documentary takes you on a journey from Olympic glory in the 1920's, through the Rugby World Cups, and into the new Olympic opportunity in 2016.

The funny thing is is that these movies are American movies.  Kudos to the American cinematographers who are taking chances and putting out these shows.  If anyone knows of any recent rugby movies from near or far that I and the public should know about, please let me know.