Saturday, January 29, 2011

Travel Photography Gear - What to take to NZ in 2011

Here is the list of the gear I plan on taking to New Zealand, most of the gear I have, but some I still need to purchase.  I think what I am choosing to bring will be the best gear for the type of photos I want to cover.



Camera Body

Canon 7D - great for photos as well as excellent 1080p video



Lenses

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X - Great wide angle lens for landscape photos



Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - very nice budget telephoto zoom lens



Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - good low light lens (would like something better/wider)



Other necessary kit

2- 32 gig compact flash Sandisk Extreme CF cards 400x 60MB/sec

2- 16gig compact flash Kingston Ultimate CF cards 266x 40MB/sec

Hoya Neutral Density HMC ND400 77mm Filter (9 stop ND filter)

Canon EF 1.4x II extender

Sigma EF-530 DG ST EO-ETTL II Flash For Canon DSLR (this flash will be arriving soon. I like the Canon 580EXII flash, but this was ⅓ the price)

GITZO G1097 BASALT WEEKEND 3 SEC. TRIPOD - light hiking tripod have manfrotto ball head on this

Videocamera


Canon Vixia HFS10 - Very nice 1080p video from the small handheld camcorder

Lenses

WD-H58 Wide Converter Lens - nice addon lens that helps with the limited wide angle view of the base camcorder

Other necessary kit

Manfrotto 055CXV3, 701HDV Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit - Tall and light tripod with a nice video head

Rode Stereo Videomic - much better sound than the built in mic on camcorder.  This is a wide stereo mic

Rode Videomic - is a shotgun mono mic that works nicely to hone in on the subject and ignore a lot of the surrounding noise

3 - 32 gig SDHC Class 10 cards

1 - 16 gig SDHC Class 10 cards

Lowepro Slingshot 302 AW - This is a large sling pack that I have not entirely fallen in love with.  I like the size, but find it somewhat uncomfortable.  I might be looking for something else, but I seem to be collecting camera bags!  I think I want to try the Lowepro pro trekker 300 AW at my local store just to make sure I don’t take the wrong bag.


On my wish list - selling my Nikon gear to get some of these items


Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS - versatile lens for the bulk of the photographic workload


Tascam DR-07 Portable Digital Audio Recorder - this I can use for note taking, background tracks, recorder sound closer to subjects etc...  very nice unit.1TB portable backup drive

15” Macbook Pro for photo & video edits

Pentax Optio W90 camera for Tegan

Canon G12 - awesome new p&s camera (I still have a Canon G2, the kids play with it now)

Delkin Fat Gecko - Suction cup mount

Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom Flexible Mini Tripod w/ BH1-01EN Ballhead

Giotto’s Rocket-air blower

Blackrapid SnapR Bag / Strap for Canon G12

Blackrapid RS-Sport R-Strap for Canon 7D

Pacsafe- This is the pacsafe 120 and I would like to get this due to the warnings about thefts from cars/campervans.  I need to find a secure place to attach this to the storage compartment in the campervan.





I will get a photo up of the actual kit once I get it all together.