Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Coromandel - The Pinnacles Track, awesome New Zealand hike!

It has been difficult to locate a track (trail) in New Zealand that will be navigable in September/October since I will be tramping (hiking) with my then seven year old daughter.  The Milford Track is closed and almost impassible and the Humpridge Track is navigable, but without any amenities at the lodge half way.

I came across a travel blog mentioning the Coromandel Pinnacles Tramp and the guy that wrote the article is from Edmonton.  I thought that was interesting.  Anyway, his experience of the area has made me want to add it to my to do list.  It is a moderate hike and you can add additional hikes once you are setup at the hut.  The views from on top are fantastic and I can't wait to share this experience with Tegan and hopefully some of our traveling companions will join us as well.  The hut is huge and has 80 bunks, they rave about the hut on New Zealand Tramper -  Route Guide: The Pinnacles Track.