Monday, April 4, 2011

Our 6000 km New Zealand Itinerary

Wait... it's our 200th post!!!

For the last week I have been working hard on developing an itinerary to reflect all that we want to accomplish while on vacation in New Zealand this fall.  Click on the Itinerary page on the above menu to see the results!

Off we go!

I added the routes up and it looks like we will be amassing about 6000 kms on our 2011 Rugby World Cup trip around the North and South Island of New Zealand.  The campervan rental company I am using is Spaceships, those are the orange and white campervans.  It was the best deal at the time.  I booked our rental almost this time last year as I wasn't going to leave our wheels/accommodations up to chance.  The cost for the 39 days is about $1600 NZD.  The cost of purchasing fuel to take us the 6000 kms will be approximately $1400 NZD. Currently gas prices in New Zealand are $2.189/litre. 

Since we will be sleeping in the campervan most of the time, we are likely going to purchase the winter addon, I think it is $80; benefits are a warm comforter, heater and 220V plug in cord.  I am also going to see if I can get chains in Auckland as I do plan on visiting Milford Sound and it will be easier for me to pick up there and return there at the end of our trip.

I am still unsure of how the insurance will work.  I plan to purchase 3rd party insurance from Uni-Care International Travel Insurance; their policy for International inbound travelers includes "Rental Vehicle Excess $5,000/insured person".  I have to ask Spaceships if this is enough insurance to cover the vehicle and perhaps I should ask the same of Uni-Care.  If anyone has any feedback on this, I would love to know more.


I most definitely don't want to go through what these poor folks went through when they actually had an accident in a Spaceships campervan.   


If anything happens to the vehicle, I want my insurance to cover it!  I know I will have to pay for that kind of coverage.