Monday, November 22, 2010

Friggin' Cold I tell you!

On Saturday my wife and kids went over to a friend's house for a season ending party for our ultimate frisbee team.  The host, Sebastian, invited me and 2 other teammates to the Western Final playoff for our CFL team the Calgary Stampeders.  They played the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Western Final and the weather around here was more ideal for polar bears and penguins than a football game.

So off I went the next day, digging out my warmest clothes to wear to the game.  I literally had on 3 pant layers and 4 top layers, 2 sock layers and huge winter boots, balaclava and gloves.  I brought my Thermarest, insulated sleeping mat, and an old sleeping bag to place around me and my teammate, who sat next to me in the stands.

The temperature hovered around -16C to -20C not including the wind chill.  I purchased 2 beers from the concession stand, they actually had ice in with the beer in the tub!!!!  I asked, "Is that really necessary?!"  Well, the first beer was chilled very well, but by the time I was nearing the end of the second beer, the beer had turned to a slushy drink.  My lips were even sticking to the aluminium beer can.


The game ended up in a defeat of our home team.  It wasn't a great game to watch.  I finally got the chill out of me about 3 hours later.  I may think twice about going off on a cold weather adventure like this again.  Sitting in a seat watching a game in -20C weather isn't the smartest thing I have done recently.


At least I will have some perspective if we end up with rain at one of our games in New Zealand.  I will look back and think, "This isn't so bad..."