Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Large Map of our Itinerary

Here is a large map of our itinerary.

I mean huge 4800 px x 7300 px.

I want to have this printed on paper so I can have it as a travel map to jot notes on etc.

It took me a while to work this out, but finally I figured it out with the help of a tutorial I found on the web.  The tutorial didn't get the exact results I had to tweak the method of the website used to get the end result here.

Tutorial for saving large Google My Maps to a JPG or PNG

The first step is to view the map I created in google maps.
Then I selected "link" then under that menu "Customize and preview embedded map"

This opens a view of the map and the ability to centre the map, zoom in or out on the map and the ability to choose a customized size to preview the map.

You will have to go between these settings to tweak the final view and size of the map you want.
Once you have the size, zoom and extents set for your map, you then copy the html code from "Copy and paste this HTML to embed in your website" box into notepad and then save it as a .html file.

Once you have the file you can view the .html file you created to verifying the results.

There is a Mozilla Firefox addon called "Screengrab!"  You must install this and restart Firefox.

Open the .html you created in Firefox and then press the Screengrab! icon in the bottom right corner.

Select Save 

Select Complete Page/Frame

Then choose the filename and image type you want to save your map as.  Presto!


Hope this helps