Sunday, January 30, 2011

MacBook Pro with Intel's Sandy Bridge

The next update of the MacBook Pro is coming soon.  The last release of the MacBook Pro was in April 2010. 

Current 2010 15" MacBook Pro


The new MacBook Pros may feature:

  • a "slight change" in chassis design
  • upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
  •  Intel's Sandy Bridge processors
  • SSD
  • Light Peak
  • no optical drive
A new version of Final Cut Pro is set to arrive in April 2011 around the same time as these new MacBook Pros.

The Sandy Bridge looks like a significant upgrade for performance and power consumption.  Light Peak is a billed as a replacement to USB 3.0. I don't really care if the new MacBook Pros have a SSD drive in them.  I think standard drives are fine for laptops.  I have SSD in my main computer at home and I really don't find there is a super improvement in speed.

I will wait for the new Apple Laptops to arrive before purchasing a new MacBook Pro.  That is unless a super sweet deal happens to come my way.